Parish of St Matthew the Apostle,
Douglas, Isle of Man

St Matthew's Church Halls

church and halls viewed from South Quay

The halls were opened in March 1912. The Lieutenant Governor was ill, so his wife, Lady Raglan, performed the ceremony. The following description is an extract from a longer account in the Isle of Man Examiner (9th March 1912)

The halls were opened following a service in the church at 3p.m. on Thursday 7th March 1912. In a speech following the opening, the vicar, the Rev H.S.Taggart spoke of the 34 years existence of the school, which was started by his father in the gallery of the old church.They went from place to place — to the billiard room in the Peveril buildings, to a room over a chandler's shop in Lord Street, and then to a settled abode in the old restored Grammar School, where 30 years work was done. Now they had a membership of 100 in the G.F.S., 40 to 50 in the C.L.B., a brass band of 20 young men and there were at that time 400 to 500 scholars attending the school. It was this growth that had necessitated the new building.

The Church and school harmonise in their architectural arrangements, the design having been planned bv the late Mr Pearson. The work was carried out under his son, Mr F. L. Pearson. Mr R. F. Douglas was the contractor, and the contract was about £2.000. Mr J. H. Cubbon carried out the plumbing, and Mr T. Quayle the stonecutter's work. Mr M. Carine was clerk of the works. The architectural style is that of the early l5th century. The Church and schoolroom now add much to the beauty of the town and neighbourhood.

Other Sections

Other Links